Tuesday, January 31, 2012

50/50

Trois. Woo.
I'm not going to lie to you. After my (500) Days of Summer review, I re-saw it. The good news is that I fell in deep love.. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt. This leads us to our next review!
Who needs hair when you're Joesph Gordon-Levitt?
  This fine evening, I will be reviewing Jonathan Levine's 50/50, starring Seth Rogen and more importantly, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. This dark comedy is about a man suddenly discovering that he has a rare cancer and how he copes with this fact though the world around him continues to spin. Let me just pause here and say wow. I have not thoroughly enjoyed a movie like this since.. The Lion King 3D. Everything about this film fits perfectly like a puzzle; the humor, the realism, and even the cancer. 

"I'm going to throw up", he's taking the news well.
I will start off saying that Seth Rogen was near flawless. He brought a certain hilarity throughout the movie regardless of its black overtones. His jokes were raunchy and some of them were straight up vulgar, but funny. With such a depressing plot in this movie, nothing could truly counteract such sorrow; but Rogen does the unimaginable. And so does Gordon-Levitt, despite the whole cancer thing. 

This is how you get over a break-up.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a regular guy who suddenly becomes a cancer patient. Though he may be remembered through other roles such as (oh God) Tom in (500) Days of Bullshit, I will never forget him in this. Such as Drake, who just doesn't sit right with me without his wheelchair, Joseph may never look the same with a bald head and a tumor on his spine. I mean this in the best of ways. I've just witnessed a man sink into what seems, an inexorable disease and in the prime of his youth. I doubt anyone could have portrayed this kind of emotion any better. 
So much in fact that, Gordon-Levitt is forgiven for ever being that other movie..

The movie is called 50/50, a play on the survival ratio from the large-syllable'd cancer in this movie, but as an audience member, I would flat out call this movie a cancerous roller coaster; it literally forced me to care about the characters. I want to watch it over and over again with different friends or family, just to see what kind of impression this gives off. If this film does one guaranteed thing, it leaves a huge impression. Which some movies, especially in today's "modern" green-screened-CGI-infested world, cannot. It would seem out of my place to say that this is a "must-see", but then again, we're all going to die eventually. So, do yourself a favor and watch it.

They sure are watching you.. Sleep.
50/50 is 100 minutes long and rated R for language throughout, sexual content, and some drug use.

No comments:

Post a Comment